Friday, January 9, 2009

And now back to.... What ever ....






Well it sure was great to have my parents here these last nine days. We had a lot of fun and the kids know their Papa and Ninaw a little better (Judah can say Memaw but instead he says Ninaw) We had a great time showing them where we live and what we do as well as seeing some beautiful places. We went to La Paz waterfall gardens (thanks Robin) and to Playa Hermosa for a few days. We visited Manuel Antonio, a national reserve, and saw monkeys sloths and baby sea turtles that had just hatched and were making their way to the ocean. (see the pictures) It was great to see the country but it was even better to just be with family. We're in a bit of culture shock still and things are feeling rough. Sometimes it's hard to see the good things that we have here. I made the comment to my parents that if it wasn't for Gods call I don't think I could live here. I don't know that it's entirely true (due to the culture shock) but at the moment it feels true. It was good however to have people agree with us that cheese is way overpriced, and that the food isn't anything to write about. In a way it makes me more comfortable being here. I don't know why but it just does. 
So we have the weekend to get back in the groove and we start school again on monday. New teachers and new classes will probably be a little difficult but I am definitely looking forward to being able to communicate  better and get into actual missionary work. I don't know that I've posted much about what we are in for, work wise, but I'll post again later with all the details. For now... Thank you all for your support. We wish you could all come down and visit us for a while. I'm sure there'll be plenty of time later. Remember that you're all missionaries where you are and you already know the language. Look for God to move daily and if it seems that He isn't ask Him why... then ask Him to make Himself alive to you and those you're around. Here are some more pictures of where we were. Click the picture of the leaf then click side show and watch it for a while or just check out the ones you like.
Our trip to La Paz and Manuel Antonio

1 comment:

Sarah said...

hearing you write about culture shock is interesting. It was such a different experience for me as a kid, because I know my parents must have gone through culture shock when we went to Taiwan, but I don't remember much of that, only just enjoying living in a new place, where my parents were still taking care of me. But I know that if I go overseas as an adult, I will have to deal with culture shock.

I'm glad you could have family visit you so early on in your time there. No one visited us for several years.